Nadine in the jungle

Having written last week about the way that political trivia gets far more political coverage than hard politics it feels almost remiss of me not to have mentioned this YouGov polling from the middle of last week (indeed, if it wasn’t for the BBC management’s rapid implosion it would probably be the big political news still – sigh).

Anyway, for the record 77% of people thought it was wrong for Nadine Dorries to appear on “I’m a Celebrity” compared to 11% who thought it was the right decision. 73% thought the Conservatives were right to suspend her from the party until she explains her decision.

(For those appalled by such triviality, fear not, I am sure there will be polling on the BBC along before too long, and on Thursday we have some proper elections, albeit, not ones we’ve had much real polling on. More on those in the coming days)

106 Responses to “Nadine in the jungle”

1 2 3
  1. How many couldn’t give a monkey’s….?

2. I want see her ate by croc’s

3. For the first time ever, I agreed with a comment Eric Pickles made. He said he would be voting for her each week to make sure she stayed there.

Although, come to think of it, I won’t be able to vote for her as I have never watched the programme and never intend to!

4. I don’t think you need to actually *watch* the programme to keep her on it, plenty of helpful people tweet the number to vote for her.

5. AW

Nudge nudge??

6. She seems an easy target to me. We all knew she would do this one day, Had he not been elected London Mayor, I predict Johnson would not have been able to resist, for example.

Perhaps Livingstone will have a go; otherwise I predict that Opik will, unless he already has – like Norbold, I wouldn’t know.

If one is ‘not in touch’ by choice, is one really not in touch?

7. I think public pensions will be coming up again, seems like the ONS has released a report that estimates that unfunded pension liabilities are 321% of GDP. I’m sure we will have another round of pensions are unaffordable………….. After all the govt are looking for cuts in spending

8. RiN

“I want to see her ate by croc’s”

That’s an appalling thing to write: it should be “eaten by” and “croc’s” is a plural so requires no apostrophe.

9. @RiN – I’m intrigued by this pensions liability thing and wondered what your take on this is.

I’m assuming that this is the basis of the research that found that the annual cost of total future pension liabilities was rising extremely modestly, with very little change to the annual proportion of GDP taken by state and public sector pensions.

10. I see a similarity between the blind and consuming passion of General of the Army Petraeus and the likes of Sally Bercow and George Monbiot, (not to mention any number of BBC journalists.) The overwhelming desire to have something very desirable, a very striking woman on one hand, and a rich, toff tory, who worked for HER, shamed and destroyed by the the vilest of predilections.
    Wow, its to exciting for words. I hope the second group get their well earned comeuppance.

11. While BBC reporting is under scrutiny, I do hope that none of you have been taken in by the nonsense cub reporters have just been spewing on ‘George Blake’ the ‘British traitor’ on PM and the like.

Start with Wikipedia and then say to yourself ‘if I spent the first 20 years of my life as a Dutchman would I think I was Dutch or something else?’ (Even if my dad was a bit of a mixture). I imagine his rotterdam accent is still quite strong.

While you are about it, why not look up the mysterious oriental dancer spy of WW1, ‘Mata Hari ‘ and discover who she really was.

You need to watch these Dutch you know!

More interestingly, the developments in Dutch VI are remarkable. I’ll post after dinner.

12. In April by pension contribution goes up another 1 and a bit % and the same the year after.

Want to have another go at my pension? Bring it on.

13. Getting back on track. “Nadine” will be very well suited to the company of talentless half wits in the outback.

14. “Talentless half-wits”

Not liking a particular type of person doesn’t make them either of the above. Personally I’m amazed that the show has any attraction for anybody – either participant or audience – but unless you know each of the individuals concerned in some detail it seems a rather generalised and over-the-top insult.

I assume its typical though?

15. @RIN
    Your 4.46pm is precipitous, they will be looking, and they will almost certainly act. The public sector think they have been badly done to. Compared to the private sector, they live in Mayfair, the private sector live in the Freetown slums.

16. @Paul Croft
    Of course you are right. Gorgeous George is neither talentless or a half wit. However, all the others, including Ant & Dec have excrement for brains.

17. Sadly she has, at last, found her vocation.

Mention of Mrs. Speaker by Roly, makes me yearn for the day when she too finds her rightful place……..perhaps in a court of law listening to some of her tweets being read to a jury?

18. A sad report by a BBC hack to camera-that the BBC now had an “acting” DG, who had just replaced more experienced managers with “acting” ones-all overseen by a Trust Chairman who had been urged to resign on both sides of HoC this afternoon-and that this doesn’t really feel like “stability”.

Peter Sissons writing in DM, & Peter Snow on tv both saying the BBC has too many managers in too many layers. Snow said he never understood how the organisation was able to make decisions.

Fatty Pang has lots to do :-)

19. @Colin
    One certainly prays that Lord Mc A’s lawyers relieve my Member of Parliament and his old lady, of a very great deal of money. Knowing Alistair, he will give it to the NSPCC.

20. ROLAND

:-)

If he does bring actions to court on the content of Twitter entries, it will be ground breaking law.

Saw Culture Sec Miller’s statement on BBC in HoC this afternoon. In subsequent exchanges total unanimity on the severance pay to Entwhistle.

A certain Mr. Watson was noteable by his absence .

21. “Nadine in the jungle”

UKPR plumbs the depths! Mind it’s not AW’s fault if US presidential elections don’t come along every week. Perhaps we’ve been a bit spoilt of late.

22. @PHILL

I can find no fault in AW’s subject matter. The discussions
    in the jungle and the intellectual standards displayed there, are only marginally different to the Presidential Election in the USA.

23. Alex

” Like others on here, I keep think that what these figures do is lump together all the liabilities and then effectively set them against a single years GDP. If we were take those same liabilities and then set them against the combined total of all the annual GDP figures for the years in which those liabilities come due, would would get a vastly reduce ‘cost’.”

Yes that’s my take, its a very unfair way to measure it imo, I’m not sure which (if any) life expectancy figures they are working from. But even if that is done correctly the annual cost will be much less than this scary headline. But its a typical right-wing tactic(must be admitted that leftwinger would also abuse numbers this way if it helped their argument) to lump all the costs together and make a panic out of it, and of course I did see the story on a rightwing site. I’m guessing the govt have asked for the figures in this way in readiness for a propaganda assault on public sector pensions. But it could just be coincidental!!!

24. I’ve tried to rescue this from auto mod.

While ‘certain’ reporting is under scrutiny, I do hope that none of you have been taken in by the nonsense cub reporters have just been spewing on ‘George Blake’ the ‘British tra*tor’ on PM and the like.
    Start with Wik*p*ia and then say to yourself ‘if I spent the first 20 years of my life as a Dutchman would I think I was Dutch or something else?’ (even if my dad was a bit of a mixture). I imagine his Rotterdam accent is still quite strong.
    You need to watch these Dutch you know!

Hope this succeeds. perhaps AW will get rid of the other one.

25. I think it was the second letter of the alphabet coupled to the third letter twice.

26. Paulcroft

So you are saying that its ok for me to wish someone eaten by crocs as long as I use the correct spelling and punctuation. You are a strange boy!!

27. Nice anagram for the MP taking time out in the jungle:

Nadine Dorries = Or die as dinner

28. @Colin
    Yes, the BBC have made a very good meal out of bankers bonus’s. Fair enough, but lobbing this guy £1.3 mill rather shows them up for the hypocrites they are.

29. RinN
    You are a strange boy!!

No he isn’t – a trifle OTT now and then but displays original thought – quite often.

30. Roland
    Can’t be BBC then!

31. I mean, it can’t be BBC that produces auto mod. I expect it was tr*itor. :-)

32. @Howard
    Some of the reporting during the Falklands conflict, almost made the two synonymous.

33. HOWARD

@” to yourself ‘if I spent the first 20 years of my life as a Dutchman would I think I was Dutch or something else?’ (even if my dad was a bit of a mixture). I imagine his Rotterdam accent is still quite strong.”

Well I suppose you might think you were Dutch-but that wouldn’t make you want to betray 400 Dutchmen to a foreign power………would it?

Anyway-it wasn’t his Dutchness which made him betray those people-it was his time in a Commy prison in Korea where he had nothing to read but Marx it seems. That and the evil practices of the USA in Korea ( he said)-so he thought he would help that nice Mr Kruschev when he got out.

He seems nice & comfy in his Moscow Dacha. Mr Putin thinks him a hero.

34. RiM:

Yes, exactly. Perhaps the implicit humour in that was too subtle for you?

Anthony:

If its ok to accuse people you don’t know of having “excrement for brains” can I, once again, gently enquire as to why some of my far milder comments have been obliterated in the past as the pattern escapes me?

Is it OK for me to be rude to people if I just call them half-wits etc., or is it just if one is reallybrilliantly clever oneself [presumably like Mr. Haines] that that is acceptable?

Thankyou.

Paul.

35. Richard in Norway

Paulcroft

So you are saying that its ok for me to wish someone eaten by crocs as long as I use the correct spelling and punctuation. You are a strange boy.
    ________

Ha Ha Ha Ha…:)

Chuck him to the Crocs Richard and I promise I wont poke fun at the Lib/Dems again. ;)

36. Paul its not “RiM it’s “RiN”…unless he has moved to Morocco then I suppose it’s Richard in Morocco.

People in Glass hooses!!! <<<<Scottish slang for house.

37. Could you imagine Tony Blair and George Galloway in the jungle together for two weeks ! It would be hugely entertaining.

38. @Paul Croft
    Alas Mr Croft, I am not brilliant, or even particularly clever, but neither am I a 21st century follower of Cromwell or Judge Jefferies. As for telling tales to Anthony Wells due to your puritanical instincts, trust me, he can read the comments himself. Had I said “David Cameron is a buffoon”, or “the Labour party are a bunch of tossers”, Mr Wells would moderate it. To half jokingly call the viewers of most present day “reality television” bloody idiots, is not quite like engaging in a personal and partisan attack on a politician.

39. R Huckle

________

You missed out Paul Croft. He could sit between the pair of them and give spelling lessons on the obscure and wonderful creatures which inhabit the jungle. ;)

Och aye the noo how sweet!!

40. A Christie:

I lived in a tenement in Glasgow before you were born.

Actually I can’t be bothered with 2

RH:

Just to be accurate you called the PARTICIPANTS “talentless half wits” and then added “with excrement for brains”. Sod all there about the audience being “bloody idiots”, and it didn’t sound overly-hilarious to my fairly insensitive ears.

As you rightly point out Anthony CAN read your comments so I can hardly be accused of “telling tales” [are you long out of school?]

I am simply and genuinely perplexed by the moderation procedure and have said so a number of times.

RiN:

“funny boy”

Glad you think so but at 68 I feel nearly grown up ta.

41. Howard:

“Original thought”

That’s very generous – thankyou very much. I enjoy your contributions also.

42. PaulCroft

A Christie:

“I lived in a tenement in Glasgow before you were born”
    ____

I’m 92 next week. ;)
    ……

Anyway back on topic…

“77% of people thought it was wrong for Nadine Dorries to appear on “I’m a Celebrity” compared to 11% who thought it was the right decision”

I don’t get it!! I can understand why it would be the wrong decision parliamentary rules and constituents etc) but what makes it the right decision?

43. ALLAN CHRISTIE

@”what makes it the right decision?”

I’m a Celebrity GMOOH is more interesting than BBC Parliament for 11%?

I’m a Celebrity GMOOH is more interesting than anything else in life for 11%?

I’m a Celebrity GMOOH is life for 11% ?

44. Allan:

Ye cannae fool me – I can tell you’re just 13.

Re the 11 % maybe they polled a lot of tory mp’s

45. Colin

“I’m a Celebrity GMOOH is life for 11%”
    ___

I think you hit the nail. :)
    ….

PaulCroft

“Re the 11 % maybe they polled a lot of tory mp’s”
    ______

You could be right on that due to the fact many of them don’t exactly see eye to eye with the Dorries yin and would gladly see the back of her!! ;)

Ref my age, out by 9 years!!

46. Blimey Al: you actually write jolly well for a four-year old. I take back all my spelling criticisms.

47. ROLAND HAINES
    Kindly get your implicit Third World insults right: Freetown is the one West African capital too poor to have slums; basically its a market town with a totally inadequate infrastructure and some some selective bits of urban rot and wealthy sleaze, still based, as per Greene, on diamonds and on dependency on rice imports to feed the urban population, Not slums, but leafy suburbs surround it in the hills of the Colony, where the proud Anglican Creole population, wear hats to church and gather round the piano to sing Victorian songs, still with the nicest African university campus up on Fourah Bay, charged with the proud tradition of sharing with Durham the training of the Anglican clergy to lend the benign custody of the Church to the settlement of slaves off the intercepted slave ships, a society which continues to function despite the brutalities of the country’s embrace in civil war and with Taylor’s evil intervention from Liberia. They can do nicely without comment on the blogs of distant once kindred and caring anglo-saxon literati.

48. PaulCroft

Touché!!

49. Allan:

Merci !

50. I don’t have an opinion whether Dorries going into the jungle was ‘right’ or not. It will only be possible to judge that after she’s finished.

I can’t see why there’s such a fuss about it. Many MPs (most notoriously G Brown, but I’m sure there are many others of all parties) are absent from the HoC most of the time.

Is the problem that her absence is public, rather than in secret? Or perhaps that she is reducing the dignity of MPs? That’s a laugh after all the expenses scandals and prison sentences handed out recently.

1 2 3